PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 09:50
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Flight through rough air, windsheer, strong crosswinds are all situations where the automatics perform worse than humans.
I really have to disagree with you. Certainly on the B777, on which I have around 5,000 hours, the Autothrottle is outstanding and, from my observations when observing from a jumpseat, when a pilot overrides the Autothrottle on a gusty approach because he/she thinks it is not responding quickly enough he/she is normally wrong and causes the Autothrottle to immediately reduce power because he/she has caused a large speed increase. In my view the inertial systems, which ultimately are controlling the Autothrottle, sense changes and trends far more accurately and quickly than we humans ever can.

Similarly the Autopilot/Autothrottle system on the B777 is certificated to autoland the aircraft on one engine with a 25 knot x-wind.

In my last company we were allowed to autoland the aircraft up to the aircraft x-wind limit in greater than Cat I conditions. I know of one trainer, severely caught out by an extraordinary set of circumstances (like all these things it is a long story but for another time) who autolanded with a 40 knot x-wind in unforecast Cat II conditions.

Both the B777/787 FCOMs state that a windshear escape manouevre can be flown automatically and the advice contained therein states that SEVERE windshear MAY exceed the performance capability of the automatics and the pilot flying must be prepared to disconnect the automatics and fly manually.

I have personally been in severe turbulence twice and, although the situation was alarming, both autopilot and autothrottle coped admirably before we escaped from the conditions.