PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Typhoons chasing a Puma
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2017, 10:10
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
heights good.

If you read back through the thread you'd see I clearly stated I have never fought a helicopter. It doesn't mean I can't have a decent understanding of the rigours involved though.

Please don't take this as a 'FJs are better than helos' crusade. Again, if you read back through the thread you'll see no one has started that.

One quick point to add though. I am well aware of how hard helos can be to spot/acquire. Maintaining tally with an aggressively manoeuvring helo would obviously be very challenging as well.

You mention about training how you fight. However, you also add that 2v1 the odds were not as good. Since FJs tend to always travel in pairs this gives you an idea that a raging singleton trying to get a guns kill on a helo is not necessarily how it would be done for real. What you saw was training for the worst case scenario for all parties. Obviously the best way to train. The fact does still remain that there's a very good chance a FJ may never acquire the helo in which case you have your 'win'.

Sloppylink mentioned how dangerous the Apache can be (I agree it is odd that we are discussing Typhoon vs Apache but I didn't start it!). I never argued that it wouldn't scare a FJ pilot to see rockets coming at him. I did argue that the chances of scoring a hit with CRV7 were slim. I don't believe that has been refuted yet.

Anyway, must get to work.

BV
Sorry BV, it was a long day and way past my bedtime so I never fully read the comments of others. Apologies if I came across as belligerent, not my intention at all.

Just another point in a 2 v 1 fight, from personal experience 2 x FJ doesnt = 2 x Tally especially in a visual fight at low level with hilly terrain which makes a BVR engagement problematic. I remember a 2v2 over the sea, ideal conditions for a BVR fight, it was not the outcome that most would expect.