PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Performance exam
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2017, 20:54
suchac500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paco please... Im not bummer, previous 13 subjects I finished in 4 blocks.
Because Im normal human being it means I canīt just stop my life and spend 6 months just for ATPL. I have to work and so on.... Of course that Im not genius - it means that I donīt know everything.
In Av exam I have always 97-100% - and It is not memorizing. (I always to know principles). Bristol the same.

But I really didnīt expect performance so difficult it was reason why I expected that 3 block will be more than enough. A lot of my friend is in same situation Im not only one.
My specific problem is with graph (I had just one mistake in theory, rest - just graphs).
Examples from Av Ex are just simply, in Bristol they are a little bit more complicated sometimes but still Im able to calculate them.

For example, on my CAA exam I had more than 1/3 graphs on "determination min or max headwind or tailwind component" - Well, in av ex you have one example of this. In bristol you have 1 or 2 example about this topic. But all of them are simple and answer are with big margin. On CAA I had 2kt margin among answer. I was suprised because even BASIC ground roll I had wrong. - totally donīt understand.

Maybe you could help me with these type of question please.
TORA: 2300ft
ASDA: 2500ft
TODA: 2750ft
RWY: Paved and level
MASS: 3300Ib
Pressure alt: 1000ft
temp: 31 C

1) 10tw
2) 5hw (< my result, can you confirm me please correct answer?)
3) 20hw
d) 3tw

(ASDA / 1,3 = 1924ft enter to graph)

Or

Use figure 2.4 CAP 698

Determinate the minimum or maximum wind component
Mass: 3400Ib
Pressure alt: 2000ft
Temp: 32 deg C
RWY LDA: 1750ft
RW Slope: +2% upslope

1) max. 7kt tw
2) max 2kt tw
3) min 22kt hw (< my result, can you somebody confirm?)
d) max 5kt tw

(1750ft / 1,43 = 1224ft - enter to graph)

Then I was suprised my friend had this question in his exam and meanwhile according av exam is D correct, according czech CAA its wrong. When you want appeal it you have to do it immediately after exam. (why you donīt have chance to check it before appeal it???)

Assuming all other factors remain unchanged, how ill a Headwind Component (HWC) affect the Speed for Maximum Range and the Speed for Maximum Angle of Climb?
The HWC

A) leaves the speed for maximum Range unchanged and increases the speed for maximum angle of climb
B) leaves the Speed for Maximum Range and the speed for Maximum Angle of climb unchanged
C) Reduces the speed for maximum range and increases the speed for maximum angle of climb
D) increases the speed for maximum range and leaves the speed for maximum angle of climb unchanged (Wrong answer according czech CAA)

Basically, I think that I donīt have problem with theory - but with graphs. And even when I thought that I know principles how to use it. Result is very often wrong on CAA.
I did aprox. 68% on CAA with graphs wrong.

Another question was on increasing V2.
Possible answer were improved climb gradient (agree) and another is Increase v1, increase take off mass ( This was my option)
I donīt understand why are answer so close when question are so generally. There was no info about field lengh, obstacles. And both are correct arenīt?
> Increase TOM, increase V1 due to mass, increase V2. ( so usually when you incrase V2, you will increase as well V1 because you need better TOM)
> I know that improved gradient fits better. But at that moment first answer was better for me.

Another thing is quality of supplements on CAA (!!) and I donīt understand why is on Perf exam just 60 minutes when 65% of question are graphs. On RNAV you have 1:30 and in one hour you are finished. But please ignore my crying about exam quality... I will appreciate any help with this.