PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Typhoons chasing a Puma
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2017, 20:17
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
CRV7?! A-A?! That's a new one. Assuming the FJ ever closed for guns (let's remember when you see a Puma and a Typhoon playing in this fashion its not really representative of what a Typhoon would do for real) then the Apache would have to turn and face the FJ and carefully aim it's one shot at a highly agile FJ. What odds would you give on that being successful?

I think we're straying into Hollywood territory now.

BV
I am trying to be mindful of giving away tactics on a public forum so my answer is slightly vague.

Without wishing to be inflammatory, dismissive or rude but your answer above shows that you have never conducted FJ vs RW engagements or at the very least have forgotten how trained RW crews conduct themselves.

I can assure you from personal experience of engagements with Typhoon, Hawk, Tornado F3 & GR4, Harrier, Jaguar, F-15 and other RW that every type DOES fight how they would for real or are mirroring how an adversary would fight. If this was not the case then it would just be having fun and not training.

Prior to every evasion sortie a comprehensive brief with all crews involved is conducted thats lays out the tactics being employed. This is a legal requirement.

I remember a fight about 6 or 7 yrs ago with a Typhoon from the OEU with a QWI flying it, arguably the best possible A-A pilot in the RAF by virtue of his quals and position. We had to squawk, fly high, straight and level, A-A Tacan and give our location for us just to be seen.

Once in the merge we lived to fight another day in every fight, albeit by working bloody hard as a crew and using highly slick CRM/chat. 2 v 1 the odds were obviously not as great, but not a foregone conclusion by any stretch.

With a trained crew, good CRM, DAS and a bit of luck, RW have a high chance of not dying. However, the chances of a crewman getting an A-A kill are possible but not probable...

Last edited by heights good; 19th Aug 2017 at 20:43.