PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2017, 16:23
AvGeek1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman

Construction updates are few and far between now as not much changes externally one week to the next. The photo shows the last part of the terminal infill which has had its concrete floor laid on the first floor a couple of weeks ago with the roof now going in.

There is still a massive amount of work to be carried out even on the section that was erected last year. I am thinking that nothing major is likely to happen now that will improve the customer experience until the end of the year when maybe the first part of the terminal extension is likely to open. With no extra seating planned to my knowledge more shops are unlikely to make the passengers any happier.

The new pier seems to be progressing well and might also open at the end of the year. The taxiway extension should open early next year.

There are still constant complaints about the traffic jams on the approach roads to the airport in the early morning that the £14 million spent on the new dual carriageway and CTA layout was meant to have fixed. In fact public transport out of the airport are now affected by delays for the first time due to the design of the CTA road layout. Remember this is the design that was meant to handle 18 million passengers so should be operating under capacity.

I await with interest the new mark 8 drop off area that will open in early spring of next year and how that will affect traffic flows.
I recently travelled out of Luton on the 9th August where my flight was at 7am. I got to the airport at 4:30am and no traffic jams on the approach road or even in the CTA, only a small queue into the drop off zone. Check in was good as well, considering security looked very busy it went quite smoothly. Then we emerged into departures, which is quite terrible, with hoards of people everywhere and queues for all eateries. The main problem is the departure lounge now, not the CTA. The CTA could definitely be improved to reduce traffic congestion, of course.