PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Typhoons chasing a Puma
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2017, 11:44
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
D2 - I had a pair of F15E use 4x LGB on me over the North Sea once; I'd trashed every BVR/Heater shot (I was, for once, carrying live chaff/flare as well) and, well, being F15E guys using Fighting Edge they were not coming down to play with guns....The lack of RW speed makes it very hard to escape the frag envelope - analogous to "Bomb in the Face" supposedly considered by strike aircraft being chased down at low level...Re FPA Mx, I'd agree with you having done trials with/against ASRAAM. We found a few things out about it (not for these means) but, along with off-boresight HMDCS targeted weapons and AESA radars, it moves the game on so the RW community need to change equipment and tactics - but only, of course, if we fight a near-peer and the OCA/DCA guys have let "leakers" through....

PN - not just shadow but also use of camouflage (I would deliberately try to find every Oil Seed Rape field and join them up to see if my Students was paying attention...), blowing sand (it shows up better than the cab) and spray/wake over water. Also don't forget sun glint if manoeuvring.

Crab - CRV7 A-A would be a low PK shot unless the FJ was not manoeuvring. That said, the Iranian's claimed a MiG shot down by a Cobra TOW (!) and the Iraqi's claimed an F4 with a Sagger (both unlikely in my view...). The Zuni did score a couple of A-A kills in VN. The AH also has an RFI / RWR combo if it didn't want to use the FCR. The frequency of the FCR is also out of range for many FJ RWRs.....maybe a RF/Laser Hellfire/Brimstone against a slow moving unaware CAS aircraft is a possibility....