PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2017, 20:46
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManaAdaSystem
They would have done a long, but safe landing.
Which translates to RAAS compromises safety. Best tell Honeywell.

This reminds me of the discussion about the A380 division from MAN to LHR. Human judgement seemed superior to computer judgement, but the commander could not take the risk to over-ride the computer. He had a cast-iron alibi, diverted, and the company picked up the bill and the disgruntled pax had to put up wth it.
Have we really progressed? The days of pilot redundancy are drawing closer. We'll never disappear for PR reasons, but our authority, influence and interjection will be further diluted. Will safety improve? Ask me later.

One wonders if the amount of money spent on technical back-ups to be pilot replacement aids, or back-up systems to prevent pilot screw-ups, or systems to alert pilots that they are screwing up, or systems to............had rather been spent on training to ensure pilots did their daily job properly, we might have prevented all the accidents that required all the back-up systems to prevent pilot screw ups in the first place.
Somehow we are inventing accidents so that we need to invent preventions. The checking process is so outdated and addresses problems that are not relevant. Accidents are happening for other reasons than V1-cuts.
Somehow it use to be easier in the steam driven days. It was a harder work-load, navigation, yes, but we were more 'on top of it'. I enjoyed moving from steam driven to EFIS & EICAS. I thought it was wonderful. It reduced the work load so that I could manage, plan, control and manipulate the flight, during all it phases, in a more relaxed and accurate manner; both manually and via automatics. It was superb; because the old skills were not tossed in the rubbish bin, but kept and alive and kicking and sat there in the back-ground watching over the operation. Airmanship, aeronautical physics have not changed and been over taken by technology. The basics still apply and need to be taught and respected. That teaching has disappeared and will come back to haunt those advocates who allowed it to happen.

Back to the future!

Last edited by RAT 5; 17th Aug 2017 at 21:02.