PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2017, 12:20
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by underfire

The lawsuit alleges, among other problems, that the aircraft's system prevented the operation of a switch at a critical moment and that the plane didn't provide any warning to the crew that the switch wasn't working.
Me = lowly lapsed PPL, so more than happy to be told I'm wrong, but surely:

1. The switch WAS working precisely as advertised and described in the technical specifications and manuals for the aeroplane. That the switch didn't produce the desire effect is no more the manufacturer's fault than it would be if a car's accelerator pedal failed to make the car go faster when the gearbox was in neutral.

2. The aeroplane surely provided more than adequate warning that the driver's switch selection wasn't causing the engines to go to TOGA thrust by the way that the engines remained at their previous setting. The crew would get audio, tactile and instrument indications of a thrust change (never mind the movement of the thrust levers) which clearly didn't happen.

3. Any driver who initiates and sustains a TOGA climb when the airspeed is clearly dropping through the floor (TOGA button or no TOGA button) should be moved to another seat - not one of the good ones at the front.

Am I wrong?

PDR