PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I would say that you didn't want to do that!
Old 15th Aug 2017, 11:43
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say that you didn't want to do that!

A seemingly sane, logical, intelligent chap we know rang up in a panic last evening. He had received a phone call purporting to have come from Microsoft technical and telling him his computer was being attacked. Bizarrely he got sucked in and has been persuaded to part with more money than the laptop cost to prevent his machine being locked up. Doh.

I don't know exactly the sequence of events except that he was directed to turn on the machine and do stuff which has resulted in said machine being locked up. Stuffed.

He says that when powered on it comes up with something about "keyboard" that he doesn't understand. Nothing responds.

He doesn't do much stuff on the machine but we have trained him to keep all of his (few) personal data files on a couple of memory sticks so he might not have lost any important documents.

The machine is a 4 year old Samsung i7 laptop, originally with Win8 but since upgraded to Win10.

Where do we start to unravel this and rebuild?

I can remove the HDD and plug it into a caddy which I can use on either Win7 or Linux Mint platforms. This might allow me to see what is on the HDD but I don't know what I am likely to see or what to look. Both of these machines can be rapidly rebuild if anything bad happens as neither has any data which I don't have stored elsewhere. Neither of these machines needs to be networked of WWW connected.

Thanks for looking, do any of you want to rise to the challenge?