PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 21:44
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there when the PARK was created by the council as a green buffer to protect the residents through distance from the effects of the airport. Now nearly 40 years later with the park maturing nicely they have handed it over to the airport for a business park when there is already a 20 year planning permission for the same business park on a site next to the end of the runway at the 26 end and next to Wigmore Park. The official line is yes but we are giving you a ploughed field right by the runway which is no good to us, as it will by too noisy, that we will seed for you with grass. Hang on, no one lives next to the runway at the 26 end so who is going to use it?

I have never said I was against airport expansion and the planning application is not for airport expansion but for a business park. We can all speculate where airport expansion will go and Wigmore Park did seem the obvious choice until the council decided that the access route will no longer be from New Airport Way but via residential streets which was explicitly banned in the original planning permission from 20 years ago.

I know your thinking just involves shoveling ever more passengers through the airport even if there is physically no way of doing it. The CTA can not handle the 15.6 million passengers it tries to handle today without massive tailbacks. With modifications it should be able to handle 18 million passengers together with the terminal but we will have to wait and see how they intend to get to 25 million. Maybe they could build a satellite terminal at the bottom of your garden and bus the passengers to the aircraft from there.

Last edited by LTNman; 14th Aug 2017 at 05:22.