PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - friends, salaries and aviation
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2003, 16:58
Sir Cumference

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation is the strangest industry! It is so small, mention a name of an individual in a regional context, and often in a global context as well, and you are likely to either know the person or something about him/her. Friends? Not necessarily as is discussed earlier in this thread. The back stabbing that goes on is quite horrendous. Also, I am sure that each and every one of us has attended a post accident discussion where the victim is slated for numerous valid and mostly unfounded 'crimes' that could have only resulted in the accident itself. "Got what he/she deserved!" "Saw it coming!" etc. With friends like these... ?

On the issue of salaries, the industry (Especially contracting) has become so cutthroat that there is very little room for increases as far as salaries are concerned. In order to be competitive, bids are cut, aircraft still have to be paid for, banks do not take late payments kindly, so as bids are cut, the only areas of savings are in salaries or maintenance. Both with a direct negative effect on safety.

I know of companies who have been approached by new pilots who have offered to work for nothing. Also, young guys whose fathers have offered to pay the salary of their offspring in order to give him a start. It is correct to turn these offers away as they damage the whole structure for the rest of us. I remember at a stage when a whole lot of ex-Zimbabweans came down South and flooded the industry, to the detriment of us all. In particular the helicopter salaries were hardest hit and the damage took years to repair. They were desperate times for those guys.

The reality of the situation is that you are not going to stop it, not the offers to work for nothing nor the raping of the individuals who place their skills and butts on the line to earn the best salary they can by unscrupulous operators who will use any excuse in the book. Times are hard and it is during this kind of situation that the worst comes out of an individual!