PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Late update penalty" on a slot
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 20:31
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I presume you are referring to my post autolycus? If it is, I'd love to hear the correlation between slot management in the 80's and prangs. My post was based on being on the blunt end of slot restrictions which appear to have little to do with actual traffic, as I stated. What I know for sure is that enroute and terminal arrival slots are based on a notional value of capacity that appears to have little to do with the actual capacity. I have sat for too often, too long with a fully loaded aicraft ('fully ready'; I hate the phrase) only to find when we are 45 minutes late on a one hour flight that our slot is cancelled. Arriving at the restriction you find the sky is empty. If the slot was 'real' I'd expect the sector to be busy. But that is rarely the case.

Now I know LHR is not perfect but that place manages traffic. You may be slowed up miles out and whizz a few times around the hold, but I don't feel as if I have been conned whe I arrive there. It's busy and working full blast, both in the air on the ground. And the departure rate is impressive by anyone's standards. The places I have the problem with are elsewhere in Europe.

PM