PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 15:06
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dannyboy39 wrote

As someone who uses the train a lot between the Luton stations and London, it is clear that a substantial number of people leave the service at St Albans. At the last count, more people used that station than all three stations in Luton combined, which surprised me.
Not sure what St Albans has to do with anything regarding the franchise. Also out of interest Luton stations were used by 8,729,370 passengers at the last count v 7,451,430 for St Albans.

It would not surprise me if LLAOL/LBC actually decide to postpone the £200m link project if these plans got the go ahead.
Luton have certainly made a song and dance about a terminal to London travel time of 30 minutes but the shuttle bus link is a disaster that needs to be removed

gilesdavies wrote

It is suggested LTN Parkway will be served by three trains an hour from Corby and one long distance train an hour, which I assume will be the same train that calls at Kettering.
The consultation documents can be found here as a PDF download https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...rail-franchise

I can't find what you are reporting. All it talks about is cutbacks but the document states on page 31
Providing additional East Midlands fast trains to Luton Airport
Parkway might only be possible by reducing the number of stops
elsewhere, such as at Luton itself.
So it hasn't been dismissed but neither has it mentioned anything other than 1 train an hour on a new semi commuter service unless I have missed something. On the same page it asks for comments regarding Parkway and airport connections.

The report makes a valid point that the service is really an intercity service that is used by commuters, which is causing overcrowding. Their solution is just to remove the closest stations to London rather than increasing the length of the trains.

Luton Airport in their submission produced this 31 page PDF https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ZQEnL-iJs3Aaag why 4 EM trains an hour should and could stop at Parkway so they will be rather peeved to say the least if not only this opportunity doesn't happen but they end up with a worse service.

Last edited by LTNman; 29th Jul 2017 at 15:26.