PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 13:36
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Proposals for the new MML Franchise Post 2019...

The newly proposed train services are causing a lot of controversy up here in Northamptonshire, and below what I have written is what I understand from the local press and further digging about, is what they are proposing and will be the new source of the increase in services to the airport. It pretty much seems like we are becoming an extension to the Thameslink commuter service, but not going south of London.

It seems any stations south of Market Harborough and St Pancras will no longer be served by long distance trains on the Midland Mainline (MML) going North, except for one train an hour calling at Kettering to act as an interchange for the more local services running between St Pancras and Corby.

As a trade off there is talk of train services increasing at Wellingborough and Kettering from two an hour to three or possibly four more longer term, at off peak times. North of Bedford to Kettering North junction where the MML splits to Corby, they have already re-instated all four tracks and the capacity is in place. Just now need the electrification, which is due by 2019!

It is suggested LTN Parkway will be served by three trains an hour from Corby and one long distance train an hour, which I assume will be the same train that calls at Kettering.

It seems all the three Corby trains an hour will also call at Bedford, Luton and Luton Airport, slightly increasing journey times and stops for Northamptonshire users... Would have been nice if the new third hourly service from Corby didn't call at Bedford or Luton, considering the shear amount of trains that already serve these other stations south of Wellingborough.

Peak time Wellingborough and Kettering will see trains decrease from the current five to four an hour, but as the trains will be originating from Corby, they are saying there will be far more seats available, as busy Sheffield and Nottingham trains will not need to stop and speed these services up. I am assuming some of the peak time Corby services will also stop at Bedford, Luton and LTN Parkway.

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/...osed-1-8064752

Last edited by gilesdavies; 29th Jul 2017 at 13:58.