PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 05:52
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corby trains do not presently stop at Parkway but if they did and the timetable remained the same there would indeed be no peak time service with a 4 hour gap in the morning from Parkway and then an hourly service from after 10.00

It would not be the end of the world but it would kill off any idea of a regular 30 minute journey time between the terminal and St Pancras with an express type journey after the rail link is put in.

It would be though a major blow to the airport and the lobbyist supporters including easyjet, Luton Council, Bedfordshire Chamber of Commerce, Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce and the CBI

I am sure that not in their wildest dreams or should I say nightmares could they have predicted a potential outcome that would leave the airport with a worse service when it is trying to get a substantial improvement at no cost to the government.

Train lengths on East Midland trains are much shorter than the west coast and east coast main lines so for the sake of adding coaches the potential solution is to cut services.

Also looking in the other direction Luton would lose its direct services to cities like Nottingham and Leicester.

Clearly if implemented without a 4 train per hour non stop service to London would cut the number of potential new passengers arriving by train but for that very reason seems to be the motive behind this proposal.

When I mentioned in the past my certainty that Luton would gain a major improvement some here pointed out the issues with the existing overcrowding of trains. It seems that their concerns were well founded. This must be the only country where a major airport that serves a capital city and has substantially rising passenger numbers gets a potential cut in service.

Last edited by LTNman; 29th Jul 2017 at 06:48.