PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A bleak future for Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2003, 00:03
johnpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loaded, excellent post.
I agree with you 100%. I love flying, and enjoy what i do, but I see no reason to do it for less when I can do it for more. I do not see the argument rich-or happy, how about both. What is wrong with enjoying your job and getting well paid for it. The problem is that people tend to compare pilot jobs with office suport jobs. How about comparing it with stock brokers, or consultants, or even doctors or lawyers. If you look at the high achievers in each industry one realizes a common theme. They love what they do, but they get paid a hell of alot of money, more than they diserve maybe. It is very easy to go down the road in any industry and say that they should not be charging the amount of money they are. Why should we pay doctors, its their responsibility and duty to look after us and make their services available to everyone. How about football players, why should they get paid so much money.
I think it is wrong to look at the industry and say I am making more than so and so in such a company. I say look at them, the get more us and fly less. I do not want them to loose their status, I would rather be on par with them on an upward movement rather than a down movement.
Looking at medium term goals is not the answer, we all need to look at the big picture, because the future is just around the corner, and when the new EU pilots start coming in to our jobs with less money and we end up on the street it will not be management's fault, but rather our own apathy. It is not far away when you will see Polish, and Check pilots working in the UK. I have nothing against that as long as it is done on par with the same terms and conditions and not because they are cheap.
JP