PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US F-15s and RAF tanker in near-miss over north Norfolk coast
Old 27th Jul 2017, 11:46
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dominator2
6foottanker, thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what is the maximum bank angle/G that the Voyager is cleared to. Whilst I understand how AT normally operates in Controlled Airspace, a tanker operating in Class G the pilot must be more willing, and able, to operate the ac to it's limits.

Many moons ago I had a similar conversation with Victor crews. Only when they were about to go to war were they interested in how to max perform their aircraft and their StanEval even developed a missile break!!
Dominator, I don't think you will find anyone is likely to talk about specifics. However, you are right that crews should be able to use their aircraft within its limits. The fact is though, an airliner / tanker has very limited max manoeuvrability (in the realms of 50 degrees bank, 20 degrees pitch and +0.5 to +2.0 G). This is very little with which to try and negate a close-in confliction with a dynamic FJ. Coupled with limited flightdeck visibility, the only way to safely operate these large aircraft in the Military FJ environment is to control FJ activity around them.
BTW, the Victor "missile break" would, I think, be a misnomer.

OAP