PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2017, 17:56
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things are beginning to look a little concerning for the airport this winter, there is very little growth...
Not sure why it is at all concerning. Luton has experienced massive growth which is unsustainable and that it can't cope with either during the summer or winter period and some here just want to add to the agony and pain for the passenger and the delays for the airlines.

The public transport system creaks and often grinds to a halt. Someone on the radio last week said it took 2 hours to get from the end of the traffic queue to the terminal after being dropped off in the mid term car park. They waited for a non existent coach after just missing one so after 40 minutes they walked. So where was the coach? Not only was it stuck in traffic getting to the terminal a new experience for this year is that it was also stuck in traffic trying to head away from the terminal.

The shuttle bus to and from the station even in the off peak times are often packed out like a London tube train in the rush hour with many passengers left at the bus stop. The lucky ones then have to endure the one mile journey from hell. Pick the wrong time to travel and it takes longer to do the one mile trip to the terminal than it did for the train journey from London.

Most of Luton's potential passengers don't live on the airports doorstep so an extra 30 minute trip to a competitor airport after a shocking experience at Luton can seem worth while and that is what many passengers are now claiming to be doing.

Maybe it is the case with easyjet that they are finding it more difficult to set a price point where they make a profit from Luton with diminished off season demand when they can more easily make a profit from an airport where there is a higher demand for travel?

The IT market from Luton has all but collapsed over the years while Gatwick still seems to have a demand. As there is no price advantage from flying from Luton passengers have said goodbye.

So what is Luton's capacity at the moment? Forget the 15.5 million it is handling now, forget the old limit of 12 million that was set by I don't know who. I would say it is more likely to be around 8 or 9 million passengers per year and even at that level some would still be sitting on the floor. At that level it would give passengers a reasonable experience. When the redevelopment is finished I would increase that total to around 12 million and not 18 million. This is based on the existing projects that have been finished that can't cope with the present passenger levels let alone 18 million passengers.

Over the next couple of years I expect to see no growth and maybe a 50% chance in a fall in numbers. The days of double digit growth are over which would be good for Luton. After that a growth rate of 2 or 3% per year is manageable but only with forward planning.

Just my personal view from someone who opens his eyes and can clearly see what is going on, on a daily basis.