PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic FO payscale
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 20:51
Blinkz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VJW
As a LTC at a loco making £120k gross- how many years would it take to get back to that salary in VS (or BA for that matter) not including the fact I know they both have far superior 'packages' including pension and other perks. Just wondering how long it'd take to have that much in the bank each month again and how long if at all would it take to break even bearing in mind I'm mid 30's??
in VS probably around 15 years, depending on how long it takes to get command (we've a retirement bubble approaching so current time scales will be dropping)

As has been said if you are chasing money then a Loco captain/LTC will earn more money over a career. However there is lots to take into account. VS most likely has a better pension, but also (and of course this is very much personal preference) better lifestyle. I find the long haul lifestyle a lot more pleasant then short haul loco's. But I don't have a major issue with jet lag and find the roster much more lifestyle friendly! We have at least 10 days if not more off a month and yes we are way for 2/3 days but then are off for 2/3 days after. I have more time at home now, and more rested/enjoyable time then I ever did with short haul. I couldn't work in short haul for 30 years, it would kill me! I like having a few mini-holidays a month with days off inbetween then working 5/6 days in a row with long hours and only a few days off to recover before starting again.