PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK / Seychelles near miss - 14 July '17
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 03:44
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedbirdhopeful1

Pyjamas are provided for use during crew rest only. For the record, It clearly states so in the uniform handbook. The fact that the Company even has to mention it reflects the sad fact that there will always be a few individuals trying to interpret rules differently or push the boundaries. Does wearing your pj's reflect directly on ones flying abilities? Of course not, it makes cock all difference. However, it does send out a powerful message to both your colleague on the flight deck and the cabin crew. It's called professional standards. Do you sit there for 6 hours without a loo break or do you venture out in your pj's for a slash? Interesting to see what impression our first class passenger would have of his skipper wearing night attire. Just hope too that you never have a time critical emergency on board. Can't remember seeing in the QRH for 'crew to remove pyjamas and don uniform'. As long as you have the hat I guess that's good enough to take command and direct passengers during an evacuation or is the intention to quickly change while the evacuation's in full progress?

What's this got to do with the thread? Well, quite a lot. Stupid debates like this reflect a growing detachment and indifference to the job. A lassez faire, can't be bothered attitude. Why some individuals try to make things more complicated than they need to be is beyond me. Yes, we can do paperwork above FL200 but is it good airmanship? What's the hurry, you have all the cruise to do it. Is it not more important to monitor the aircraft? Most aircraft accidents are now attributed to loss of control, often caused by startle and incorrect recovery. Some of these accidents could have been easily avoided had the pilots been monitoring effectively, not just paying lip service to calls and procedures or intent on doing trivial tasks during a critical and important stage of the flights regime. Missing altimeter calls and ATC calls while doing paperwork is unacceptable. FFS, it's not as if we have that much to do in cruise anyway with the current generation of aircraft so is it really that difficult to sit on you hands for 20 minutes during climb and just monitor the friggin plane. Actively listening out for other traffic to enhance SA might be easier too if you are not heads down adding numbers!

You say you do not do this yourself. Great. But promoting high standards throughout sends a powerful message to those who, in five years from now, will be setting the professional tone and climate in the cockpit too.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Behaviour breeds behaviour.

Harry

Livinginthedream

Obviously hit a raw nerve about uniforms and phones. My apologies. You are absolutely correct in that phones should be made available throughout our sign on to sign off and you should be free to wear the uniform (the clue is in the name) how you like. My generation are just so old fashioned, it's embarrassing. Safe flying son.

Last edited by harry the cod; 22nd Jul 2017 at 04:25.