PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK / Seychelles near miss - 14 July '17
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2017, 15:04
LivingINtheDream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first read about this incident I too was very quick to place the whole blame on the ek crew. Sure they got the ball rolling but ultimately it is the ATC's responsability to provide separation in an IFR environment. I'm not sure if they have radar in that part of the world but if they do what the hell was the controller watching on his screen because it looks like he only had two blips on it. At no stage did he challenge or issue corrective instructions and that's probably because his english is not the required level and is limited to standard RT, anything out of the ordinary and the words just don't come quick enough. If there is no radar coverage he should have never placed the two aircraft that close to each other whilst both maneuvering for altitude, no matter how many traffic information reports he passed on. No surprise why his supervisor was keen to sweep it under the carpet and not report the incident.

As for maneuvering for the TA I'm not sure that would have worked in IMC or at night or another continent and there is no guarantee that the actions of the Air Sey crew avoided avoided a mid air collision. Someone said in an earlier post that the TCAS might not work and it's best to take evasive action as you see fit, that could possibly be the worst advice for any modern jet pilot, not to trust your instruments.

Unfortunatelly for the ek crew they will be judged in the office by professionals who always wear their uniform correctly on the flight deck during all phases of flight, never use their phones in public and consider that aviation was safer a century ago.

Sent from my Iphone