PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all Dick dislikers...
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2003, 09:36
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neddy

It will NOT provide traffic information to anybody except ATC and those that outlay substantial sums on CDTI equipment
Wrong

CDTI does not need to be that expensive, it requires logging the squitter info against a known position from a GPS. Since the GPS has to be there (one way or another) to code the squitter then CDTI will not be expensive.

I would suspect that if the government of the day does outlay the 100+Million to subsidise fitment (broadcast only) they will be seeking money back in increased charges
The Government, Airservices actually, has to decide whether to replace all those rotating hub RADARS or go for ADSB. If we did away with ALL RADARS outside of the primaries in the CTA's it would roughly work out. BUT, ADSB doesn't need land, ADSB doesn't need rotating head maintenance, ADSB doesn't need generatot backup (Solar and batteries will do).

The savings on those who need and thus cause primary control and who bleat for DTI (Q, VB and regionals) will (if passed on) be huge. They could fund more 'area' jobs for controllers. They could fund price reductions. It will make IFR mixed with VFR safer accross the whole country (eventually).

But I bet you this. If Q, VB et al try to get it mandated with an 'owner pays' mentality they won't get ADSB. There is no firm AOPA policy on this, yet. But if Govt or Airlines try to make GA pay ADSB will die like mandated ELTs. And I will help kill it (despite loving ADSB to death!).

I think however the ADSB project team are heaps smarter than that and they have done their sums.

AK