PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all Dick dislikers...
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2003, 08:08
Neddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snarek,

I love the rubbish that is being generated in regard to ADS-B.

Mike Smiff like many of those commenting on ADS-B wouldn’t know sh!t from brown clay about how it works, the limitations to use, the savings (?), the costs or anything else for that matter. The trouble is it gets regurgitated by those who think he knows what he is on about. Why do you think he has changed his tune? Because it suits today’s agenda!
Next thing will be he or Dick will be claiming any savings as part of those that NAS provided.

Just for starters it will NOT replace primary radar. It will NOT provide traffic information to anybody except ATC and those that outlay substantial sums on CDTI equipment and I would suspect that if the government of the day does outlay the 100+Million to subsidise fitment (broadcast only) they will be seeking money back in increased charges. It could be argued that it may increase jobs because it now provides radar like coverage where previously it was unviable to provide a service.

While lobbying the Government would you also support it’s use by airport owners for making sure they capture those that use their facilities, Navaids or by CASA/AA for preventing/identifying VCAs? Personally I would but I am sure we will get the usual bleating from those of the paranoid persuasion!

I wholeheartedly support ADS-B. It is a wonderful thing, but there are many issues to be resolved before we are even halfway close to full scale deployment.