PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK / Seychelles near miss - 14 July '17
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2017, 19:07
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlaw

We don't seem to agree on much these days but I do agree with your recent comments. There is a growing apathetic and complacent culture growing among our colleagues, however, I do not hold the Company entirely responsible. Huge strides have been made through recurrent classroom training and in the simulator to reinforce airmanship, big picture and basic professional standards. We have moved a long way forward from 7-10 years ago. Unfortunately, with the improvement in training has come a commensurate reduction in experience along with a general culture of relaxed indifference. Generational? Maybe, although I have flown with some super new guys who are very switched on. Unfortunately, the variation of standards is definitely growing.

Obsessive use of phones throughout all aspects of the flight, from briefing to hotel reception, spending all ULR flights in pyjamas, paperwork in climb, non standard R/T, not wearing uniform correctly, poor PA's. The list could go on. While some may see this as the ramblings of a typical grumpy old fart, I see it as an insidious decline in professional attitude. It is incumbent on all of us to maintain those standards and reinforce it to those intent on intentionally or unintentionally ignoring them.

It does not mean having to promote a dour and autocratic environment, far from it. It's for us to create and promote a relaxed yet professional work ethos that maintains minimum standards. That tone is set at the briefing and should continue throughout the flight. This airline has never been one to promote feedback yet this is the only way we can improve or be made aware of the things that we do wrong. It's also a way to reinforce the good we observe, not just the negative. It does take effort, and requires motivated and knowledgable crew to do so. 99% of the guys finish with a 'thank you' and hand shake regardless of the flights events. That's not enough.

If people are never told, they'll never learn. To achieve the goal of reaching and maintaining the high standards we strive for, surely we must all play a role in its facilitation.

Harry