PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK / Seychelles near miss - 14 July '17
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2017, 17:38
speedbirdhopeful1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ricfly744
He may not be, what you say, like me, he is just a professional captain, that when leaving the FD, delegates full control, communications and flight management to the FO, and in respect to him, the FO must act professionally.
When you are the PIC, do whatever you want, sit sideways facing back the cabin crew and talk to them as much as you wish, you may even leave your seat and do more...but if not.....respect the one who is responsible and trusted you the airplane and all onboard.

And my name is Marques.....by the way!
The comment was made by perthbound that there was something wrong with returning to the flight deck and finding the FO 'having a good chat' with the FG1. I'm not sure what is wrong with this WHEN APPROPRIATE, especially in certain locations like oceanic. On the way to Perth I would most certainly not see the point in wearing a headset when you aren't talking to anyone and can easily have a chat with the crew. But in busy Europe, I have always worn a headset personally when it gets busy with both crew in the flight deck before they had to spoon feed us about lost comms. Likewise I prefer to face someone when I talk to them and can somehow manage to do that without removing myself from the seat and still being able to use the rudder pedals and am shockingly still able to be "trusted with all onboard" - even while wearing pyjamas, which I'm sure you'd also find shocking.
The guys going to MRU should have had major alarm bells ringing in a non radar environment with traffic cleared through your level. That isn't a time I'd be having a good chat with the FG1.. all common sense, something that seems to be totally lacking in EK.
Instead we have guys briefing that the autopilot is engaged before the go to the bathroom and briefing the runway width, PAPI angles into Dubai believing they are being safer/professional when in reality the other person is rolling their eyes and/or fast asleep.