PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK / Seychelles near miss - 14 July '17
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 16:53
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MacSheikh
Lots of talk about lack of SA, but... SA depends on your perception.

Oh, to be as perfect as some here!

There does appear at times to be an air of overconfidence among some of our peer group. I know more than I could safely write about certain pilot personalities, let's just say that some feel more elevated and superior than others and aren't afraid to tell you so, despite their own failings.

It's not only a question about slipping standards but also the requirement for pilots to occupy cockpit seats no matter how inexperienced (globally) they may be. As has been said before, you can't buy junior pilots experience, neither in a cockpit seat or in life {maturity}, you can only earn them over time. In today's fast growing airlines, it really is not Safety > Commercial > Training, but is more like Commercial > Safety/Training.

What's seen as important? Get the job done, earn the revenue, recruit whoever is required to achieve the revenue. Sadly, aviation in the cockpit is far too much of the office flying the flight deck and too many decade only experienced pilots thinking that they deserve the Big Jet L/R seats because for them, it's all about me, myself and I.

Sad to say and again I stick my neck out on the block. People are asking how this should be rectified and a good start will be to slow down the loss of experience in certain airlines that are suffering experience shortages. It's not that experience is everything but there is value that can be passed down and those values appear to be disappearing faster year on year.

J