PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK / Seychelles near miss - 14 July '17
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2017, 21:07
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what they heard nor what they did. How can I make any comment without knowing any of the details. All I have heard is that youtube clip, which does not fully represent what was heard on that flight deck
Don, you're certainly doing the honorable thing by wanting to wait for the full picture and only then act or speak. But isn't this exactly our problem? Aren't we operating daily in that uncertain mist without that aftermath clarity? Isn't that what we are constantly facing and trying to mitigate? Isn't that what we are in the cockpit for: Not waiting for clarity, but creating it?

I re-listened to the tape and, unfortunately, still get the impression of a lot of complacency, if not incompetence. No challenge, no reconfirmation. Even as the other aircraft reported avoiding action, which must have been on the frequency both aircraft were on, there was no query about anything. Our flight simply continued in silence.

Even if there are multiple frequencies, changes and two ACCs involved, there needs to be more attentiveness. That lonely blip that comes at us is trained so many times in the sim, with querying ATC etc. etc., which makes the silence in this incident quite worrying.

(Nothing to do with pretending to be awesome, sourpuss-mos)