PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 10:21
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read a few posted on here and it seems this operator running the airport has zero interest in the site as a going concern.
Sadly it seems to be following the likes of Galway and Sligo (granted not as large but both badly managed).
Who's bright idea was it to order TUI to leave ?.

I have not been able to find that.
I did note the operator was allegedly chasing big business routes.

Years later they have KLM , however I note like Eastern pax numbers are dropping .

I was in a discussion about one of their other Airports in Doncaster .
That one seems to be attracting growth despite one poster who claims connections - constantly stating that airport is also doomed.
But it has a second year if healthy growth - I believe 9-10% growth?.

Back at DTV something question is they have KLM , but from what I've read - like DSA a very dull Terminal.
Worse still unlike DSA it is very very tatty.
With reduced airport services ( for the airlines).
Plus a fee.

I can tell you I think similar fees helped kill off Galway , Sligo and Waterford .
The latter of course has had more relaunches than your East Coast rail franchise.

So the concern - KLM are due to withdraw the Fokker 100 and 70 series this October.
Right at the start of the winter season , I note over a 5% drop again this month from DTV !.
WHY? , if the airport are aiming at a business and non holiday type operation why have they not rebranded the terminal , giving KLM Pax a stunning premium lounge .
No Pax fees .
And Lots of information and posters pushing the potential for onward destinations?.
I do wonder how KIM will justify sending a large Embraer unless they have the 190 version.

And perhaps Somone can clarify do they still operate smaller , SAAB 340 and Fokker 50 on any routes?.
If not will KLM simply relocate to another 'unserved' UK airport?.

Ditto Eastern , this is even worse the Aberdeen route is looking pax like water from a tap.
Eastern having read other posts don't suffer fools gladly.
The Norwich flights seem on FR24 are these real routes or aircraft swaps?.

Where does DTV Go from here ? Does your regional government ( Teesside County is it ? ) - ( im Based in County Mayo).
So not sure which area is run by whom.
Don't your TD's have powers to take the airport into public ownership.
They have done it for how many failed UK rail operators!.

While you do have Newcastle Airport and Doncaster/ Leeds and Manchester the last three are two hours drive.

My work flew me to Newcastle - again the sheer volume of traffic passing that large retail park along the A1 was horrific worse almost than the M62 .
Ok granted Personally I'm used to Ireland's quieter roads over here.
But Imho I would say DTV ,
MUST be saved as it's location is well placed to serve areas like Yorkshire cost up to Teesside ( Im thinking Whitby area into Teesside - right over to the Eastern Dales ) granted it's catchment is possibly constrained over it's rivals.

But can anyone - leaving aside money and venom against the operator but simple facts.
And finally what ideas or potential routes and operators do you think may save this failing business?.