PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Fights Back. Literally!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 19:02
The Outlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orvilles dad
Somebody mentioned the Canadians and gonads - let me tell you, if there are any gonads there, they are all extremely small and shrunken!

I'd disagree with that. Try to remember how many of those small scrotum Canucks fought in the war to liberate Europe, I'll bet they'd kick an ass or two today if provoked.

The reason that Canada limits the ME3 to 3 flights a week is not that they are protecting Air Canada, who doesn’t fly to DXB anyway, but Lufthansa, Air Canada’s Star Alliance Partner.

Air Canada flies to Dubai 3 times a week.

Canada was keen to negotiate a Trade Treaty with the EU, so helping a German Airline was seen to be useful in making the argument. Hence, the limitations on the number of flights by the ME3 - and, surprise, surprise, a successful Trade Treaty was ratified by the Eu earlier this year.

False, the STAR alliance goes way deeper than airlines. Think broader.

As for Air Canada, lest we forget, it was Government Owned until 1988 and went bankrupt in 2003, so benefitted again from Government support through the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act (the Canadian equivalent to the US Chapter 11) until it emerged as a private Company again in 2004.

The government of Canada offered no support during the CCAA. Based on good friends who work there and "From The Top", by Robert Milton, then CEO of Air Canada.

But as in many major Canadian Companies, it isn’t really free to make all its own decisions - as an example, the Federal Government Air Canada Act requires their headquarters to be in Montreal - this clearly isn’t an independent Company free of Governmental interference!

That is true and true of many companies in Canada. Not the free country many would think.

It is also slightly hypercritical for Delta to go on about EK’s use of 5th Freedom rights and then for folks to offer up Air Canada as a paragon of virtue.

I'd disagree with that too.

Currently, AC uses fifth freedom rights on Santiago-Buenos Aires, and in the past, fifth freedom routes have included: Honolulu-Sydney, London Heathrow-Düsseldorf, Paris-Geneva, Paris-Munich, Paris-Berlin, Frankfurt-Zürich, Zürich-Zagreb, Zürich-Vienna, Zürich-Delhi, Lisbon-Madrid, Brussels-Prague, London Heathrow-Delhi, London Heathrow-Nice, London Heathrow-Bombay-Singapore.

Finally, AC has been heavily censured by the Government for deliberate overbooking and the use of predatory pricing aimed at stifling competition in the market. As a result, for such a huge country, Canada only has 2 national airlines - Air Canada and Westjet, who were themselves subject to a ticket price onslaught from Air Canada when they initially started in an attempt to them out of business - as they did JetsGo and other long gone competitors.

Canada can barely (almost can't) support 2 airlines in the manor Canadians expect. They expect full service at low cost rates, maybe the ridiculous taxes mean the average family just doesn't have the money to fly a fancy ME carrier. There are government agencies in Canada that set the ticket pricing that AC must operate with, contravention results in LARGE penalties. Go back to your point about AC as a private company which operated under strict state control, then you'll understand how hand tied they are...mind you so is Aeroflot...you can draw your own conclusions.

Meanwhile, it's almost impossible to get a seat on one of the 3 weekly EK flights to Dubai….
Try the Air Canada Flights...I hear they have a few seats open and it's a cosy 787.

I doubt the ME operators are angels in the equation. Its time the North Americans stepped up the game but not by giving it away to the Arab's. Ask yourself if Putin will bow to the ME3? Why should Trump.