PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Fights Back. Literally!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2017, 03:00
Buford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the US aviation market was blindsided by two things - 9/11 and the rise of the ME3. Good on them for fighting back! Full disclosure, ex-EK flight attendant here (1996-1999) & EK pilot (ok, wife writing this) 2005-2017. He's the Seppo, I'm the Aussie, and he's now with Delta. The video might be emotive but there's definitely some truth to it. Good on Delta for fighting back! Emirates decimated Qantas in Oz. Once they entered the market in 1996 it was all downhill from there. Does anyone who works for EK truly believe they do so without the help of Dubai Inc.? The company was a nice place to work with Maurice Flanagan at the helm, but as soon as they moved to the bouncy castle and TC took over, the rot set in. It's not a nice place to be now and both f/a's and flight deck are overworked to the point where it's unhealthy and dangerous. Are any staff below flight attendant paid as well as their counterparts in the US, UK, Australia, NZ? I doubt it. In 1996 when I joined EK construction workers, taxi drivers, retail employees, etc. were paid 750dh-1000dh a month, fast forward 21 years, I read reports that now it's about 1000dh-1500dh a month...that's what you're up against. It's NOT a level playing field. The baggage handlers, ground staff, etc. at Dubai airport are paid embarrassing sums of money because they're from places like Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, the Phillipines. And before the backlash begins, yes, I had a live-in maid for all of 2 years of the 15 that I lived in Dubai. Good on Delta for drumming up support from the government and protecting their aviation industry. I wish Australia had done the same! And, no, I'm not a Trump supporter. Once upon a time EK was a nice place to be and Dubai was a lot more fun...the bonus was you could save lots of money to send 'home'. The only thing I miss about Dubai are the many great friends we left behind. EK/Dubai does not care, and never will. Admit that as an expat we all are mercenaries, or give in to the Stockholm Syndrome. We all decide for ourselves... but don't ever think that they 'care'.

Last edited by Buford; 2nd Jul 2017 at 03:57.