PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risk of air accidents up in UK after CAA cost cutting
Old 30th Jun 2017, 12:56
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookingforajob..... It's been a while since I read the reports in full, regulation or lack of it, was a factor in both accients.

(a) The Kegworth disasater, the CAA and/or FOI did not insist that BM did sufficient conversion and training to convert B737 pilots onto B737 glass cockpits, in part due to a lack of knowledge in Ergonomic. The CAA were dragging their feet on the impementation of CRM/LOFT/LOS and MCC, not least as they had virually not internal expertise in Human Factors.

(b) The Viscpunt accident, which involved multiple flameouts and restarts of Dart turboprops in severe icing over the peak district,. The report identifified the FOI had not ensured that there were sufficient checklists/QRH. Again the MEL was defficient, I think it allowed up to two of the four generators to be unservicable on departure. I think the RR darts on the Viscount had icing when in service with BEA. It is of note that this accident happened only about twenty miles from an Shamrock SD-360 (turboprop), which crashed on approach to EMA about ten years earlier, due to severe ice. Again I think there was and issue with contract pilots not having enough training or experience in UK weather and icing over high ground.