PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there anything you feel could be improved on the planes you fly?
Old 24th Jun 2017, 11:28
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
Airbus: Mechanically linked sidesticks.

Having flown six types with traditional linked yokes, I really like the Airbus sidesticks. But, from a pilot's point of view, I think not having them mechanically linked was a mistake.

I understand the reasons why they are not linked, but if I was designing a sidestick system, I would have them mechanically linked with a release handle somewhere suitable to unlink them in an emergency.

Otherwise one pilot does not fully know what the other is doing with the controls, and this has led to at least one horrendous and unnecessary crash. Also it is very difficult to train cadets the finer points of aircraft control because they cannot "follow through" on the controls by gently holding their yoke/sidestick while the trainer flies and demonstrates a particular manouever, e.g. flare and landing.

PS, your RC model wing might be a major breakthrough in aerodynamics, but given its increased lift, it might actually be very very draggy - something hard to asses with an RC model - and if applied to an airliner it might limit speed and range unacceptably.