PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 00:15
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colled
The photo in the report tells a story though, showing a right wing drop on a stall attempting to be corrected by max left deflection of the ailerons, but no left rudder and also appears to be a dose of up elevator in as well.
One would think that if the aircraft had been rolling to the right, regardless of the reason, that the pilot would instinctively be applying opposite aileron input which may not be helpful in a stalled condition.

That being said, the DH.82 ailerons are a bit unique in that full aileron deflection is achieved not at full control stick deflection to the left or right but at perhaps 75 percent deflection after which the downgoing aileron returns almost to neutral although the upgoing aileron continues deflecting upward at an increasing ratio at the same time which is quite substantial(what were newly patented differential ailerons). That being said, in my experience, when doing a control check, I could only achieve about 75 percent stick deflection before the stick was blocked by my legs. All of which conveniently meant that max possible stick deflection gave max downward aileron deflection.

In the picture, I don't see up elevator and see prepaid some aileron input.

Last edited by JammedStab; 22nd Jun 2017 at 12:45.