PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern in heavy turbulence
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2017, 12:39
flyhardmo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Phantom driver said:
Reminds me of that old observation- "one guy's light chop is another guy's severe turbulence"
When you see a towering CB flashing away like the paparazzi at the Emmy awards, then there is no question as to the severity of what you will encounter by going straight through it. I've seen these guys fly through it with my own eyes, not by observing the TCAS, but visually.

ELAC
I wouldn't be quite so cynical. Having met some of the CAAC people with safety investigative functions over the years I'm pretty sure that the event will be looked at quite carefully. I doubt anyone will get fired, but unless the event proves to be a sudden onset of CAT my guess is that there will definitely be some punishments.
Working for a company that has had CAAC throw the book at us for minor infractions without a thorough investigation, then demand that the crew be fired for making a mistake in which ATC played a major part. Add to that the demerit points for foreign airlines. Recently Emirates has had their expansion in China halted for 6 months for minor violations. I think I have every right to be cynical.