PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2017, 22:45
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAIRMAN
To be honest I've never attempted a three point takeoff in a Tiger, but I know of other tail wheel aircraft that have come to grief attempting it, but not deliberately.

Maybe tail wheel aircraft can lift off in ground effect lower than the stall speed in a three point attitude, but that's never going to end well unless the aircraft is very over powered - not the case with the tiger.
A standard soft field takeoff for a tricycle gear aircraft is done in a manner to lift off at the slowest possible speed at which point the nose is lowered in order to accelerate in the ground effect. It really shouldn't be too much different for a taildragger and at lower density altitudes shouldn't normally be a problem.

The acceleration might be slower in the Tiger(and similar aircraft) with all the drag involved but if you were able to get airborne, under normal circumstances I would think you can remain airborne in the ground effect cushion.

Immediately lowering the angle of attack reduces drag and acceleration should be equal to or better than it was while on the ground with its associated drag items.

Last edited by JammedStab; 20th Jun 2017 at 01:05.