PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern in heavy turbulence
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2017, 21:32
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen and continue to see Chinese based airlines fly straight into a CB at night. I can't understand Manderin so no idea if a deviation was requested but while I'm deviating around wx, a lot of them will fly through it.
Reminds me of that old observation- "one guy's light chop is another guy's severe turbulence" .

I recall cruising along one night , southbound over Japan , nice starry night . For some reason , a few aircraft were requesting "deviation due weather" . Nothing to be seen on our radar or looking out of the window. All we could assume was that maybe some guys were flying around with the radar gain set on "Auto" or "Cal" or whatever on your particular machine . This could sometimes paint a far dire situation than was actually present. I have seen badly calibrated radars throwing up ground returns when they shouldn't ; easily misinterpreted as weather by the inexperienced

My habit when serious weather work was required was to spend a great deal of time playing with manual gain/ manual tilt as well as auto. Manual often gave a far better picture of what was ahead.

For those who have flown the 744 , the radar system , though old , was pretty honest when giving you The Big Picture . Ended up on the T7 ; those digital systems were good , but they could be somewhat misleading at times....