PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern in heavy turbulence
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2017, 20:28
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyhardmo
Oh yeah, they will publish a report with safety recommendations. Bwahahahahah. You must be kidding right? The only thing that will happen is that some of the pilots will get fired/fined including those that may have been resting.

I've seen and continue to see Chinese based airlines fly straight into a CB at night. I can't understand Manderin so no idea if a deviation was requested but while I'm deviating around wx, a lot of them will fly through it.

Wx deviations in China are not easy sometimes but certainly not impossible if you are firm and suggest you will have to declare a pan. I heard KLM do this a week ago and the controller gave him what he wanted. Never had an issue with ATC deviating around wx over Siberia.
I wouldn't be quite so cynical. Having met some of the CAAC people with safety investigative functions over the years I'm pretty sure that the event will be looked at quite carefully. I doubt anyone will get fired, but unless the event proves to be a sudden onset of CAT my guess is that there will definitely be some punishments. A look at the track on FR24 shows a 45 degree turn at about the time of occurrence, so CAT would probably not be my first guess as to cause.

The real question, should my suspicions about certain endemic habits be correct, is whether CAAC and the airlines can be effective in getting the point across that these habits can cause events such as this, which are a far greater threat than any risks to health which may be the driving force behind such habits.