PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A taste of reality please!
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2003, 22:20
bfd777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are not sure than leave it out of the conversation. While it may be an advantage to know people with imnfluence, why not stand on your own two feet and get the job on merit rather than personal connections.

Many priveledged people I know who could play the game that way have opted to keep mum about it because it undermines the way they feel about themselves...always questioning did I get the job because I am good at what I do or just because Papa's connections got me in?

No doubt that networking is very important but at the end of the day you have to live with yourself and getting on somewhere because of who you know can take the lift out of your self-esteem.

If you have lived in Asia for most of your life I hope you have learned the language of the country you lived in and are culturally literate. Those two traits, along with your execptional flying skills and experience, will probably help you more in the long run than Papa and his friends because they will help you earn the respect of your peers.

Lastly, if you don't believe this now (and you may not since at 21 you know most everything) don't take this a criticism. It is not. Most people will feel better about themselves knowing that they got the job on their own rather than with connections. If you get the job because of connections everyone will know and you won't even get respect from the tug driver who pushes you back.