PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew emergency escape parachute during ATPL, why NOT
Old 10th Jun 2017, 10:34
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Going back a bit in the thread...

I do not think I could assess the situation fast enough to get out of my PA28
I was at a gliding site some years ago when an elderly chap in a single-seater released at the top of the winch launch and promptly entered a spin. He assessed that recovery before the impact would not be possible, released the canopy, exited the spinning aircraft, pulled the D-ring, and landed safely. I understand that he then walked to his car, got in, drove off and never returned, but that's another story. The point of this tale is that self-preservation is a powerful accelerator of thought and action when needed.

As an afterthought, When my Prentice engine quit in cloud (a feature of the aircraft I was unaware of until that moment, the mags didn't like the damp) over the Italian mountains I would have used a parachute if I had one. But I didn't, so I just turned 180 degrees, ie away from the rising ground, and then flew it at 60Kts in a straight line, awaiting developments. It was sheer good luck that I came out of the cloud at about 1,000 ft AGL, with a long military runway immediately beneath me that was not on the 1:500,000 map I had. God favours the pure in spirit, of course. So I'm an advocate of personal or aircraft parachutes such as the Cirrus CAPS for the benefit of the impure among you.

That raises another question. The Cirrus POH makes CAPS operation mandatory if the aircraft enters a spin. Recovery attempts are forbidden. I don't get that; surely the aircraft must have demonstrated spin recovery to be certificated? And if so, any competent pilot could recover from above, say, 1,500 ft?

2nd afterthought; I'm very glad I did not have to use the exit procedure for the rear seat passenger in a Sea Fury, on my one glorious ride in one. It started with 19 turns of a handle to wind the canopy back, as I recall, and then getting your feet on the seat, grabbing a bar above your head, heaving up on that while pushing with the feet, and eventually falling out.