PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2017, 16:54
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
[Hoss
Thanks for that link to a very objective and analytical piece. I am sure that in BA thre is a need for various systems to interact. For example the check in process isnt confined to that action since the operational side of the airline needs to know the pax and baggage weights for fuel and also performance calculations and wight and balance. That could mean there is a need to connect between different systems but as the author points out hats ok if it is between two or four systems but dozens!! It is almost guaranteeign disaster when somethign goes wrong.

Some organsiations deal with this kind of complex interworking by ensuring their key peopel are retained because they built the systems and the interfaces and can fix them. very hard to outsource something very complex and customised . General accounting and sales functions maybe yes since theyare common to many companies. Airline IT systems are in a different elague.

The other point is that made continually on hear that a cost cutting management does not listen to 'this equipment is time expired it has to be replaced. Obviously in an airline aircraft and engines have that kind of condition attached to them but the management don't really have any choice because those issues are regulated but with things like IT systems and UPS there is huge temptation to defer replacements because anew UPS for Cranebank doesnt lower seat mile costs and doesnt produce any more bookings and so its only and immediate effect is on the cost side of the equation, that is of ciurse untiil the wheels come off like in this case.

Management platitudes are common to all companies and not just airlines but airlines are not immune. For abit of amusement I wrote to Easyjet a few years ago and saying that as they had introduced seat reservations Iwas tempted to try them but as they were low cost could I be sure they were safe. Of course I got a lovely PR answer back that safety was their first priority etc etc etc . I wrote back, after a little reserach on the company and said @Yes, i have heard that but if safety is your fist priority why isnt it a responsibility for any member of your board of directors who all seemed to have a fiance or marketing background.

And its the same here no one high enough up who can stand up to the Aer Iberia duo and say , you wont like this boss but our IT system is very very vulnerable and something needs to be done because they know the answer is a P45