PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual National UK/US - options for training?
Old 6th Jun 2017, 13:48
Antse7en

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual National UK/US - options for training?

Hi all,

My first post, I've spent some time reading through the relevant threads however I would really appreciate your views based on my individual circumstances.

I'm 29, work in IT, and have decided to commit to a long term goal of mine in working towards a career change as a helicopter pilot.

In summary, the financing element would be largely manageable based on the costs which are often referenced in these forums - that I suppose is the easy part.

I am a dual national, holding both UK and US citizenship, which presents a question around potential training providers and locations. Is there general consensus around whether the UK or US offers the best training environment? I'm thinking the main elements to consider are upfront costs, term of training, job prospects and any transferability.

A couple of other questions I have would be:

Is it possible to continue my full-time employment in IT whilst training? I'm unsure how sustainable this might be. Given I'm currently based in the UK, should I embark on training in the US, I would also aim to seek new employment alongside.

The military element. I'm actually quite happy to consider this route as an alternative, however I note from the UK side our RAF appear to place an upper age restriction for new recruits at 25 years old. Any input into this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your comments.