PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mike Pence's plane skids off runway at LGA
Old 6th Jun 2017, 06:30
HundredPercentPlease

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by noflynomore
That Capt was in charge - rather he was supposed to be. And clearly wan't. The Capt manifestly failed..
It's so easy for the armchair, macho experts to shout "Capt at fault" and that's it. Beginning of story, end of story.

There's something up with the human being. Give that captain a description of his scenario before it happened, and he'd tell you that he'd go around. 20,000 hours, and of course he knows that a long landing in those conditions mandates a go around. And sure enough, just after his scenario he verbally wonders why he didn't go around.

I have had it. Different scenario and I got away with it. It was an instant loss of nearly all visibility in the flare, due to a freak shower. Should have gone around, but the startle factor causes 2-3 seconds of non-thinking, or an attempt to continue with the thinking you have been doing, even though you know you need to change thinking, but the thinking-inertia needs to be overcome. I was left (after a very untidy landing) wondering why I didn't go around.

We need training and exposure to this phenomenon. Of course flying gods and Pprune retirees need not apply.