PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2017, 22:44
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the report is fully complete. To have sufficient energy at that point of the runway means a highly unusual acceleration and deceleration profile OR the airfield was totally unsuitable for operating this type of aircraft. It was stated by the show's operator that the distance bewtween the crowd line and active runway was not ideal and that was about it. It very fortunate the injured person was protected, if that is the word, by the car's structure. But for a better understanding of this incident it would also be interesting to know more about this pilot's hours on type. Blaming cushions and a poorly set trim on very simple, basic aircraft like this just sounds too convenient. I would like more information.

Written checklists? I presume someone is joking. Simple measures are required for simple aircraft. TMMPFF and its cousins should do the job for most piston engined aircraft. A Moth one would be simpler TMMF and it looks like 25% of that was omitted! Virtually all of my piston flying (10 years, two professionally) was performed without a written checklist and was probably better for it because you had to think where knobs and buttons where meant to be.

Returning to the injured lady - I believe nobody should be injured at an airfield, whether they attend to fly or watch. Notices do make make an unacceptable distance between a flightline suddenly acceptable. You either atttend knowing what you are doing is bloody dangerous or have the option of being nowhere near.

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 5th Jun 2017 at 12:37. Reason: Missing word.