PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2017, 13:06
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that the capacity of a person to assess risk as a spectator is limited. Sure, if you've chosen to watch a sporting event, and you select a seat right behind the goal, you should realize that you have increased your risk of being hit by the ball. I don't think that extends to operations at aerodromes. People seem unusually confident that aircraft will follow a precise path, as guided by a skilled pilot. The modes of loss of control of an aircraft, and the danger areas around aircraft are not well understood by the public, so they are poorly informed as to how to assess risk. Unless person public knowingly moves into the path of an aircraft on their own, or passes a security barrier, I don't see them being too accountable for what might happen when something goes wrong.

It certainly makes aviation professionals look weak when someone from within the piloting community tries to project assumption of risk outward into the public. We assess and manage aviation risk, "the public" does not.