PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Turbo Arrow IV .. Am I nuts??
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2017, 11:54
rb5y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned a 1980 Turbo Arrow IV since 1997 and and also flown the airplane as a CFI since the model’s introduction in 1979. I have +1200 hours in the T-tail. There are lots of helpful comments above, but I would like to summarize the following:

The T- was a designed for style. The “stabalator” (its not a horizontal stabilizer and elevator) has 13% less surface are than its Arrow III brothers and sisters. Stabalators themselves fly somewhat differently than a horizontal stabilizer and elevator combination. The t-tail design, with 13% less surface, has less drag and less lift than the tail configuration on the Arrow III. So fly the Arrow IV as it was designed. Your job as the pilot is to understand the design and operate the machine. Here are things I consider when flying the Arrow IV, T-tail.

Weight and balance is important. Calculate the weight and balance for both intended takeoff configuration and intended landing configuration for every flight until you know the airplane “cold”. Plan the airplane for “slightly” aft loading. If you are flying 2 people in the front seats consider up to 50 lbs. in the baggage area. This is also a good way to have a fully equipped survival gear pack and equipment set-up.

Nail your approach and landing speeds, trim profile and flair. The airplane will give you instant feedback that you are sloppy on speed or flaring too high and running out of airspeed and stabalator before that magic touch down 8 kts above stall and 6 millimeters above the runway. If you flair too high – go around before the stabalator quits. Don’t stall the tail and slam the nose on the runway. The laminar flow wing on the plane give a very gentle power off stall. However, the stablator quits before the wing does. Nail you airspeeds. Go up and practice power off stalls in various landing weights and configurations noting your airspeeds. Subtract 5 kts for ground effect from your notes and then go practice on the runway.

Use a takeoff briefing with speeds before every take off. Brief your landing checklist with speeds for every leg of the approach and flair.

If you want to fly bigger faster planes in your future, get these disciplines now. It will really pay off.

The airplane is low cost, low fuel burn, 190 MPH true at high altitude and pleasure to own. Mine is turbo charged which could be another 3 pages 😊.

I hope this helps.

Rb45y