PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2017, 10:20
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Confusion also surrounded passengers who had to travel with other airlines, with BA saying that booking “via different carriers would be at your own expense and would have to be claimed back through travel insurance”.

Hmmm, I can recall that when one or other cross-Channel ferry companies or the tunnel have had issues, it has been convention that they put people on rival operators at no extra charge.

Thus for instance years ago one time I turned up for Sally Line at Ramsgate and was sent to Dover to catch P&O or Stena. Another time, dock strike at Calais, so tickets valid on the tunnel.

Why doesn't this apply to airlines?
aox

It does apply to airlines.

If the airline makes the decision to transfer passengers to another operator then the airline pays, I've certainly known it happen at BA if for example an aircraft goes "tech". Sounds similar to the ferry situation you describe.

If OTOH a passengers decide that rather than waiting for the original airline come up with a reasonable solution that resolves the problem ( e.g. put them on a later flight) they'd rather make alternative arrangements with another operator I suspect legally the situation is different - though I fully understand why there might be good and understable reasons for passengers taking that course of action.