PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 09:37
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonkster

I'll defer to your tailwheel experience. I just instruct on them.

In my experience I sit in the back seat and on take over when pilots get it all wrong with low speed and badly timed pitching movements when they try to correct either bounces on landing or after staggering into the air too early at the back end of the curve and then instinctively pitch forward a little too earnestly to try and rescue things. That includes very otherwise competent, high time pilots who are new to tailwheels.
If you instruct on them, you have probably seen a lot of this sort of thing in terms of bounces and staggering into the air too early. Admittedly, I have not seen much of it compared to you. After my initial checkout on a tailwheel aircraft(an Aeronca 7CCM Champ) and seeing all the issues I had, I knew that I wouldn't want to be checking out pilots new to tailwheel aircraft.

I would think that pitching forward a little too aggressively when airborne in a semi-stalled condition after "staggering into the air too early" would affect tricycle gear aircraft in a similar manner to taildraggers as both a airborne at the time and handle somewhat similarly, although I guess when you touch down again and the taildragger versus tricycle issue perhaps appears again...I don't know. Is it when you touch back down that things become problematic? No doubt, it is not a pretty situation.

In my White Waltham takeoffs on their particularly large undulation runway, I ended up "staggering" into the air and pitched down. It was quite possibly too much as we touched down again(possibly more than once). There was no directional issue. Admittedly a rare experience as I mostly fly from relatively smooth runways. Tricycle gear aircraft.