PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 08:37
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JammedStab
I really don't think so("easier to hold") as a general statement about taildraggers. But perhaps it does make it easier to hold the stick back for aircraft with the bungee elevator trim on the DH.82A and some other de Havilland products
yes.

Originally Posted by JammedStab
That has never been my experience in taildraggers of which there have been quite a few. With full power, there is plenty of air over the rudder and by the time one gets airborne, even if close to a stall, there is plenty of rudder control due to airspeed and propblast. One can see this during an in flight stall where rudder is still very effective at lifting a wing to prevent a spin(and that is usually practiced with the power at idle).
I'll defer to your tailwheel experience. I just instruct on them.

In my experience I sit in the back seat and on take over when pilots get it all wrong with low speed and badly timed pitching movements when they try to correct either bounces on landing or after staggering into the air too early at the back end of the curve and then instinctively pitch forward a little too earnestly to try and rescue things. That includes very otherwise competent, high time pilots who are new to tailwheels.