PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2017, 15:33
HHornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrben09
As both SLF (derogatory as that title is) and a highly experienced IT leader (biased towards Infrastructure) and someone who spent nearly 10 hours yesterday in T5 , I feel I have something to contribute.

First off, let's not confuse DR with BCP, although both failed yesterday.

For example while IT wherever were toiling over bringing systems back online , the CW/CE/First queues, that were right out of the terminal, were being "organised" by 2 women who were effectively herding cats. They were on a hiding to nothing as people were joining any one and then losing it when the staff come back round again 20 minutes later telling them to go and join the mega queue at WT. Not enough staff and definitely no sign of Managment at all. This got better during the afternoon, but still no sign of any Senior Staff at all. Even this morning they were trying to get us on a flight as my wife received a text to say it was cancelled but nothing showed on their system. Where were the managers, nowhere to be seen, as they "were in meetings". Maybe those meetings should have been through the night so everyone could be briefed for 0430.
On a more serious note we were told by staff they couldn't find any megaphones to replace the non working PA. I would suggest that these should be easy to find in case of a real emergency.

As for IT, outsourcing is not something I would advocate, but when it has crossed my path, I would never allow a system to go live without:
Rigorous functional testing of system
Rigorous DR Testing
Sign off of all infrastructure designs from someone qualified to do so and counter sign it myself.

The outsourcer should not have unrestricted responsibility for design of something thousands of miles away that isn't theirs. This also makes it easy to swap supplier should they prove to be sub par, which they will.
I guarantee someone within BA has signed that design off as suitable, and that's where heads should roll initially. Then look at your "partner"

Also all the previous posts regarding bean counters are a given as well. Scourge of IT !
On a personal note I'm not actually buying the power excuse but as we don't like to speculate within these halls I'll keep my opinion to myself. I will say however all the systems affected were internet facing.

Anyway, got all that off my chest, and resigned to go back to work on Tuesday instead of enjoying a few cold ones on the Greek coastline !
,,, Power supply issue - surely not .
Software issue ? In my experience, you test and test and test prior to an upgrade, then push out the software upgrade at the least crucial time of day. Then if it all goes horribly wrong, you roll back the release to the previous version (prior to the upgrade). Although this failure means you might not have tested everything sufficiently, you only have a short glitch and everything should be back up running again soon. The worst part is knowing that you have to test the whole shooting match again to find the needle in a haystack that caused the initial problem.