PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2017, 09:25
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExpectmorePayless
An up and down escalator

Although being open to the elements, I'd expect it to be a stairwell, 2 broken down lifts and 2 broken down escalators.

Let's face it Luton doesn't do escalators very well. The escalator in the arrivals area of the existing pier must have been operational for 1 month in the last 10 years.
I had to Google the fact that some companies sell weatherproof escalators.

Submitted plans show the stairwells being removed for this core and the narrowing of the building where the stairwell is now. I can't think of any reason why the airport would want to do this on a brand new building apart from widening the pavement at this point. The plans show the above to be stairs but they look like escalators in the artists impression.

The lifts that have not even been operational for 6 months are constantly breaking down or making very strange noises. The issue is when 2 lifts in the same core breakdown as 2 cores have only 2 lifts while the third core has 3 lifts. When a lift breaks down it can be out of action for weeks at a time. Makes me wonder what it will be like when the lifts are a few years old are spare parts are harder to come by.

What I find very strange is that Aena are the worlds largest airport operator so you would think that they would know a thing or two about passenger and traffic flows yet when it comes to Luton they can't get it right. Can't help but think that Luton management will try and keep their cock-ups from the eyes of HQ.